January (A New Year)

Hi Friends and Family,

From Bulgaria, Happy New Year!! It’s hard to believe it is 2018 and also that the first month is already complete!! I hope all of your Holidays were blessed! And I am so sorry for this post being so late!!

Here in Bulgaria we have gotten back into the swing of the typical week of programs and classes while yet many people have been in and out sick. This time of year is always a challenge when it comes to health and we have been experiencing problems with that here. Most of our ministry team has been hit with some type of sickness over the past month along with the women in our program. I am so thankful I have been one of the few who haven’t been sick! But, thankfully most are now better.

Over the past month of cooking classes I have asked the ladies in our program to each choose a dish they would like to teach me how to cook. This was a lot of fun as the roles were reversed and they taught me a recipe in English. Then last week I was able to pull out one of my personal Southern home cooking recipes and we made pumpkin pie from scratch (crust included). They had never made a pie crust before and I find them fun to make. They did a great job and it turned out really well!

   


This month I was able to celebrate the birthday of my good friend here who is the Artist. I am so thankful for our friendship and to see God growing us both. It’s awesome to see her draw closer to the Lord and for me to be able to share in life with her.

Last weekend we had a girls slumber party where we were able have a group of teenage girls from our english club community over to my place and we made pizzas. One of the girls had never made pizza at home before or had been to a sleepover. It’s always fun having new experiences with others. :)

We had another interview with a lady who is looking at starting our recovery program. She was very nervous but praying she will have an open heart to our team and the program we offer. Haven’t heard a verdict yet from her on what she wants to do. She has two children and needs support.

We are also in the active process of looking for new housing for our safe home. We have looked at a few places and just recently came across one which seems to be exactly what we are hoping for. Praying this will all work out and that we will have favor in the process.

It’s hard to believe the 11 months here will be completed in a little over 2 months. In the mean time still building relationships and sharing God’s love. :) Also, part of my team here is in the middle of planning a large conference for people who work with trauma victims. This conference will be April 23-26th. We are having speakers come in from some other countries to help train social workers, doctors, nurses, lay people, organizations who work with survivors of trauma, and those working for churches. This will be a great opportunity to help train people in our industry on how to better help prevent people from being caught in these situations and also to help those who are already victims and recovering from traumatic physical and psychological experiences. Katherine (my boss) is incharge of the event and then a small team, of which I am a part of, is working by her side. I am looking forward to this experience and the great opportunity it is for so many here in Bulgaria, not only those being trained but especially for those they can then help.  


Prayer Requests:

  • For the women here who are caught in human trafficking and those who could become victims.
  • For the hearts of leadership in government, police, and churches to be softened towards the large issue of human trafficking and that they would have open eyes to see what is truly happening here and how they can help change it.
  • For Katherine, the speakers who are coming, the whole team working on, and all those who will be participating in this Trauma Conference in April. 
  • For us to not only find but a smooth transition with new housing for our safe home.
  • For Dal and Beth (Country Team Leads for Bulgaria, and DofB leads) as they travel back to Bulgaria from the States on February 15th-16th. 
  • For direction for me as I pray about where and what God wants me after this internship finishes.
  • For the interns I’ve been working with here who are committing to another 11months internship and are trying to raise financial support. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the Freedom Hope Fighter Blog!